Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Winn (or just Ed)

The name Edwin actually means "rich friend."  I just looked it up.  Other meanings are "blessed" and "wine friend."  I think we'll just ignore that last one.  One thing I do know is that Ed is everyone's friend.  Maybe it's because he got some teasing as a kid and he knows what it's like to be in need of a friend.  He's a friend even to those who are not kind to him.  This I have seen.  He is a defender of his loved ones.  I seem to recall an incident where he was willing to bend apart my car door in defense of his little sister's honor.  

Ed has a sense of humor.  Oh yes he does.  Does anyone remember this classic joke created by our brother Ed (back then known as Winn)?  Here is the joke: knock knock... who's there?... Parrot.  Parrot who?  Parrot on you!  Then laugh hysterically for effect.  My kids totally get this joke but it didn't come overnight.  I suggest telling it often enough and laughing loud enough at the end that there is a 'band-wagon' effect.

Remember the time we were in Mazatlan and Ed almost drown?  It took 3 grown men to pull him out of the undertow.  He was in the middle of barfing up sea water back at the motor home when he begged Mom to give him swimming lessons again so that he could swim better next time.  That was a scary day indeed.  But the big point here is that even just moments after the incident, Ed was not quitting.  Ed was trying to figure out a way to succeed.  Say what you want about Ed, but he does posess what one could call the "Whatcott Bounce."  I don't know how many jobs Ed has had over the years, but it is a lot of jobs.  This doesn't seem to get him down for long.  He just gets back on the horse over and over and over.  Even when his chips are down (which is often-lets be honest) he manages to stay up and stay happy.

I hope that Ed gets a chance to read this on his birthday.  I love him.  Ed is a good reminder to me that "nobody's perfik" but that is okay.  Happy Birthday Ed!

No comments:

Post a Comment