Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

Hey KGC bunch!
Merry Christmas.  We've been awake since 7:00 hearing the stirrings of little ones peeking (against orders) in the front room.  It is now 8:36 and we are finished opening presents and eating breakfast.  Wow- that always seems to go by too fast.  All that hard work over in a matter of about 40 minutes.

I think it's safe to say everyone was pretty happy with Christmas gifts this year.  Even my hardest one to please seemed satisfied.  When asked what their favorite gift was this year Eliza said her mood ring and her mini slinky (from the dollar bin).  Audrey said her DSi 3D (alas I thought it would be the cross-stitching kit).  Drew said his pocket watch (with chain!).  Evan said his nerf dart gun and Nathan said he loves his new Zelda video game.  My favorite was the fact that Nathan let me chop off his long unruly hair.  Troy said his favorite was when I came over and sat by him.  So I guess we all got just what we wanted : )

I wanted to give a little something back to all of you so I am sharing one of my favorite holiday recipes here on the blog.  I promised Paula I would do so and I always keep my promises.  We call this reindeer food and we give it to our neighbors each year.  One time a neighbor came up to me and reminded me to give it to her again this season because last year they spread it out over their lawn for Santa's reindeer.  I have to say that offended me just a tad.  It's for human consumption- not squirrels or 'reindeer'

It's awfully yummy!  Here's what you need...
1 package (10 oz) mini pretzels (aprox 6 cups)
5 cups Cheerios
5 cups Corn Chex
2 cups salted peanuts
1 lb M & Ms (aprox 2 cups)
2 packages vanilla (white) chips 12 oz or confectioners coating waffers (3 cups)
3 Tbl vegetable oil (only if using vanilla white chips)

In a very very large bowl (or 2 bowls doing half of the ingredients in each bowl), combine all the dry ingredients.  In a microwave safe bowl melt chips & oil on med/high for 2 minutes.  Stir chips.  Microwave on high for 10 seconds and stir.  Repeat until smooth.  Be careful not to burn your chocolate.  (If you have a classier way to melt your chocolate like a double boiler on the stove-top or a melt feature on your microwave, feel free to improve upon this recipe's instructions and do it your own way).

Next pour the melted chocolate over cereal mix and stir well.  I like to then spread it out over a flat surface to let it dry.  For easier clean up you can lay down wax paper first inside a few cookie sheets.  For added festiveness you can add green & red sprinkles.  Pleas don't feed this to wild life...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Kelly
Eliza said this guy's beard didn't move when he talked... so he wasn't the real Santa.  She's pretty darn savvy.

1 comment:

  1. Yes,... "reindeer dust" is just oats and glitter. That way they can SEE your house, SMELL your house, and have a little snack while they're waitin' for Clause!

    ReplyDelete