Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Ides of March Griever

Or is it spelled Greever?  I googled and went with Griever.  Although I am not sure if when we gave Chris that nick name that we meant "a term in Final Fantasy VIII; the name of a lion's head crest commonly associated with Suall Leonhart." We'll have to consult Roland on that since I think he was the one who gave him the name that stuck.  Probably he meant something more along the lines of "one who grieves" due to Chris complaining so much on a long hike.  Whatever it means, Chris will always have the alias name of Griever to me.

Chris was the sibling just older than me growing up and since he was 5 yrs older I had a difficult time keeping up with him.  I am sure that most of the time he saw me as a the pesky little sister always trying to tag along.  There are a few times I recall that he let me into his inner circle.  Like the time when he and some buddies were filming a western home movie and they let me be the 'saloon gal.'  Even though I was flat as a board I tried to live up to the part.  I was seriously flattered (although I was probably their only choice).  I dressed up in a old dance costume that was red satin with black lace and used one of the kitchen's metal pitchers to pour drinks for them.  I'm sure my role of bar maid will be remembered forever.  I remember being giddy with the excitement of being included.  Secretly I knew Chris really wanted me around because when he built the fort up in the side of the foothills across the street from our house he made a bathroom facility with two places to sit "boys" and "girls."  Who else would be using the girls potty but me?  Another time he included me was to let me into the pitch black piano room while he and some other brothers were shooting rubber bands at each other in the dark.  He was right to be hesitant about letting me in there.  It was traumatic.

Another childhood memory I have of brother Chris is his candy store.  Since sugar was pretty much off limits in our home the thought that Chris had huge stashes of it made me salivate just walking in his room.  I must admit to sneaking in there and helping myself on occasions.  He had a great money maker idea when he purchased a bunch of candy at the store and then sold it to desperate neighbor kids with lots of pocket money to throw away on priceless a priceless sugar fix from the neighborhood supplier- my brother.  I think his big mistake was selling a candy bar to Joey Covey for $5.00.  That brought down the hammer of justice on his sugar gig.  I also think the fact that Chris got a large number of cavities that year was a bit of a giveaway.  He had to give up sugar 100%.  No more jello-brand cheesecakes on Sundays even (lucky him).

Chris has always 'walked to the beat of his own drummer' so they say.  I really admire that about him.  The more I learn about mainstream people in life, the more I want to be different.  I want to be my own person, just like Chris.  Chris is super smart.  We always knew this.  Remember when he got straight A's and Dad had to buy a pool table for the entire family.  That was awesome!

He was the one who warned me all about the Russians who all wanted to kill us.  He was the one I listened to Dr Demento with on Sunday nights.  He was the one who took me to dollar movies when we were both in our 20's living at Dad's house still.  Sorry you had to miss Joe vs the Volcano Stephanie.  It wasn't really a great movie anyways.  I don't think she forgave Chris for taking his little sister to that one instead of his girlfriend for a few weeks at least.  Luckily she got over it and Stephanie and I get along great today.  She is really something too.  I really missed Chris's companionship when he moved out of the house.  He was/is a good brother.  He's a good family man and an awesome science teacher.  Too bad he lives so far away and we never see too much of Chris and his family.  Maybe they will take that East coast trip they have been trying to plan for the past year or so.  Hint hint : )

We hope Chris has a wonderful birthday on the ides of March (tomorrow).  Beware the ides of March Griever.  Each time it passes you will only get another year older!!!!!
And possibly a bit grayer....

4 comments:

  1. Kelly --
    Joe -vs- the Volcano wasn't SO bad,... we just all have to look out for "brain clouds" and make sure to get "good luggage" for the trip!
    But any feelings I had of being "left out" (you didn't mention the night he took YOU up to the point to watch the lightning storm, by the way) were TOTALLY "forgiven" (if I can use that term) since I was even MORE impressed that you two got along so well! At the time, I was "shopping" for someone who could be committed to a family, and, well, his relationship with you was a pretty good "selling point".
    -- Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph-
    I know that was a terrible movie. Remember the holder on the bosses desk for his 'balls'? I totally forgot about the lightening storm...Glad you forgave me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    Great post on Chris! A few more birthday stories from the brother that is 5 years older than Chris. You are right about how Chris got his nickname or at least half right. I used to take Chris backpacking in the High Uintas and he commpained alot from the back as he tried to keep up with our longer strides. I finally decided to put him in front and I told him if I caught up to him I'd kick him in the butt. I rarely did catch up to him after that nor did he complain anymore but he kept the group going at a great pace. A funny story about Chris he used to like to stay up late with me and watch Perry Mason, an old Crime movie. Invariably Chris would fall a sleep during the movie, and I would wake him and send him to bed which was down a long hallway. One night after sending Chris to bed halfway through Perry Mason, I went down the hall to bed myself and found Chris fast asleep STANDING UP leaning against the wall in the hallway. I wish I could sleep that well!!! I love you Chris and wish you the best on March 15 and always.

    Your Bro Roland

    ReplyDelete