Monday, January 3, 2011

Erico from Jerico

In my years of growing up at 1841 North there was something noteworthy in my big brother Eric's room. There on the perfectly dusted shelf sat a large white hero-sized bust of his head.  A childhood likeness.  Only two other busts ever made it through the door of the home.  They were the likenesses of Jesus and Joseph Smith (and they were not as white)....  I remember looking at Eric's childhood head and wondering what made Eric so special that he, and only he, had his head made into a statue like that.  Where was my big head?  Then Eric would do something great like clean and organize the entire garage without being asked, or wipe down the scumminess of the ski boat, and wash all the cars, and I had my question answered for me.  Eric was special.  He still is.

Eric was a much needed peacemaker in our home.    Eric was seminary president.  Eric got excellent grades.  Eric never disobeyed to my knowledge.  You'd think that would make him quite unlikeable but no, once again, all you had to do was spend some time around Eric and he'd suck you in with his lovable personality.  I remember hearing Mom once say that she thought maybe Eric was her gift from heaven for having such a loss in losing her first husband.  God knew she'd need some special kids to cushion the blow of George's death.  Eric was a big part of that I think.  Jerico must be where all the good eggs come from.  We can't all be perfect like Eric.  Some of us have to perform the task of making the great ones look that good by comparison.  You're welcome Eric!

Eric turned 50 on Dec 23rd and I am sure (since he is my perfect brother) that he will forgive me for posting this late.  I did call him in Mexico on his birthday though so that should count for something.  Eric is running a 50 mile run in the mountains this year to commemorate his 50 years of life.  I think when I turn 50 I will celebrate by sleeping in an extra 50 minutes.  I heard from a little bird that Jolynn, his perfect wife (it's true, she is also pretty perfect) really threw a great party in Mexico for his big day.  While Eric was away at the store, Shanelle and her husband Mike decorated the campsite.  Peter had been hard at work (for days I am sure) getting signatures from friends on the beach on multiple cards for Eric's birthday.  Eric's dental assistant Eileen had people sending him 50 things (anything from black ornaments to depends undergarments) to the office all day on his last day of work.  What fun!

Here's hoping that Eric will have another 50 great years ahead and that he won't be translated due to perfection any time soon because we would all miss him very much!

Happy Birthday Eric!

No comments:

Post a Comment